On Saturday 28th October, the Royal Arsenal Tag Rugby Club hosted their second annual ‘5K on the RA’ Fun Run.
It was all about Zombies to tie in with the spirit of Halloween. Runners came together to test their skills in chilly conditions and show off their fancy-dress outfits on the established 5k course around the Royal Arsenal. Like with any race, it is all about participation and individual efforts, however we would like to mention our top male and female runners. This year joint 1st was shared by Dan Hudson and Christian Ayerst coming in at an impressive 20 mins 25 secs and Mikka Hojholt was the fastest female with her little companion, completing the course in 23 mins 37 secs.
After the run, everyone came together for a celebration of their achievements and to award the best fancy dress. Steve Barringer was unanimously voted as best and scariest fancy dress outfit.
We like to support our charity partners with everything we do. Our recent fundraising campaigns have been going exceptionally well and we hope to be handing a cheque to Wooden Spoon for over 1900 pounds.
As usual, this event would not be possible without our wonderful volunteers. Not only they made sure that everyone stayed on track, they also gave participants “the run for their money”!
By Lina šlekytė
RARC Waiver Doc 2017_v1
PLEASE FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH OUR WIAVER DOCUMENT ABOVE BEFORE YOU ATTEND ANY OF OUR EVENTS
For a successful second year in a row, “The Zombie Tag Fun Run!” is returning! This is a fun, engaging 5k fitness race with a zombie twist! Participants must avoid getting tagged by Zombies!
Participants will be privy to the only closed 5K within the historic grounds of the famous Royal Arsenal – one of East London’s finest landmarks whilst our Zombies stalk them as spookily as possible!
The event ends with a tipple on the Thames for a night out, getting on the Clippers for an award ceremony for best costume!
Can you stay alive?…..
Get signed up as places are limited!
The 2nd Annual RA Tag Rugby Summer Party was held on Saturday 19th of August. This did not start like your average Cocktail Soirée, no, this was a tropospheric affair! Don’t get me wrong, most attendees arrived on foot or by taxi, but one man arrived by plane. Parachuting into Wellington Park was Hans, a spectacle for all to see!
The venue was the Guard House and the provisions did not disappoint: greeted by a String Quintet and an array of tasty Supercars for the Instagram generation to selfie by, you crossed the threshold with a glass of bubbly in hand.
The gastronomical were catered for with delectable canapés in course order; The frivolous could gamble to their hearts desire (without impending debt) on Blackjack and Roulette; And the home grown band appealed to all!
The night finished off announcing the winners of our silent auction, and many went home pleased with the absolute bargains made.
Ultimately a big thank you and well done goes out to the event planners, without them all, the evening wouldn’t have been such a success. Roll on party number 3 – 2018!
By Jason Millar
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE EVENING HERE CLICK
Royal Arsenal RFC 2016 Xmas Party ‘Kris Kringle’ (Secret Santa Gift Giving) Rules
- Whoever wants to play brings a wrapped, unmarked quirky gift max. 10 pounds in value.
- The gifts are placed somewhere central.
- Anyone who brings a gift writes their name on pieces of paper.
- All pieces of paper are placed in a container.
- The host(Ed) picks a name from the container (this begins the first round).
- That person picks a gift and unwraps it (end of first round).
- That same person picks a second name from the container (this begins another round).
- That new person now has the option of stealing from the first person or picking a new gift and unwrapping it. If they steal, the first person selects a new gift and unwraps it (end of second round).
- Now rounds continue with a new person being selected and end when everyone has made their selection or there are no more gifts to steal (a gift can only be stolen once in a round—to keep track of this everyone places their gifts on their laps at the beginning of a round, and on the floor once they’ve been stolen.
- If a name gets selected and that person already has a gift, they have the option of (A) keeping their gift (in which case, the round is over and they pick a new name), or (B) stealing from someone else (in which case, they trade gifts and the round continues).
- This cycle of high thievery continues until the last name is picked and that person can keep what they have (game over).